An essential element to a car running smoothly is brake maintenance. Lack of proper brake maintenance can cause them to fail—and that can put you at risk of a fatal car accident. It’s recommended to check brake pads every 12,000 miles and replace fluid every 25,000 miles.
On average, disc brakes last for 30,000-50,000 miles. Rear drum brakes may last for up to 150,000 miles. A good auto repair and maintenance shop will help you get the right brakes for your car and perform brake maintenance and repairs whenever needed.
Signs That Indicate You Should Get Your Brakes Checked
Watch for the warning signs that may include unusual noises and a strange brake response when you apply brakes. They indicate a problem that you should get checked immediately.
- Screeching and Squealing Sound – If you hear a screeching sound when you brake, get your brake pads checked. If you hear a grinding sound, it can indicate worn-out brake pads, debris in the rotary, or low brake lubrication.
- Hard Press – If it takes longer than usual to brake, there is a problem with the brake system.
- Warning Light – Brake warning lights indicate that there is something wrong. Take your vehicle to an auto repair shop to see what the warning light means.
- Smell – If you notice a burning smell coming from your tires, it indicates a serious problem. Visit an auto repair and maintenance shop immediately.
Also Read – 7 Easy Ways to Keep Your Car Running Forever
How to Take Care of Your Brakes
Car brake maintenance should never be delayed, as worn brake pads or bad brakes might cost you a fortune later on. Make sure that your vehicle, including the brake system, is always in good working condition.
- Get your car’s brake and brake pads checked once a year. If they are worn out, get them replaced.
- Check your brake fluid regularly. If the fluid is of dark color, it’s time to get it changed.
- Slow down before you apply brakes. This will put less pressure on brakes.
- Get good quality and reliable brakes. They may cost more but are more efficient and durable in the long run.
Continual Car Maintenance
The easiest way to prevent brake failure is to keep up with your car maintenance. Make sure to get an annual vehicle safety inspection and visit an auto repair shop to keep up with other preventative car maintenance like changing oil, getting tires rotated, and replacing windshield wipers and air filters.
A-Z Tech Automotive is always ready to help. Call us at (949) 472-8111 for car brake maintenance and repair issues. You can also book an appointment online to schedule vehicle maintenance and repair services with us.
A-Z Tech Automotive, a complete automotive repair services company that offers convenient and high quality personalized automotive repair and service in Orange County. Long and the team are committed to safety first and are known for their outstanding workmanship, friendly and experienced staff, on-time delivery and excellent customer service, including a comprehensive solution for collision repair.