Your car’s engine belt powers essential automotive components such as the alternator, water pump, air pump, power steering pump, air conditioning compressor, and more. Your vehicle cannot function properly without these components. Replacing the engine belt in your car is an important requirement to experience smooth and uninterrupted performance.
Read more to learn about the procedure and required interval of replacing the engine belt.
How Often Should the Engine Belt Be Replaced?
It is recommended to replace the engine belt every 100,000 miles or when you see signs of wear. The engine belt can wear on the V section, ribs, or along the edges. Engine belt’s edges wear down due to misaligned pulleys. If your car has this problem, check all the pulleys before installing the new belt.
Heat and age can cause cracks and damage on the belt’s rubber part. Regularly checking the belt surface for any cracks or shiny appearance will be helpful to identify whether the engine belt needs replacement…
How to Replace your Engine Belt
The steps involved in engine belt replacement are:
- Look how the existing belt is wrapped around the pulleys. Take the new engine belt and practice matching the routing.
- Locate the self-adjusting tensioner and release the tension from the belt. You can use a wrench, ratchet or any special tool to remove tension.
- Remove the existing belt. Make sure to check the tensioner pulleys for wear before installing the new belt. Loose, noisy, or overly tight tensioner pulleys need to be replaced. Also, check idler pulleys and all pumps to ensure they can move freely.
- Install the new engine belt and line up all belt ribs in the pulley grooves.
- Tension the belt properly.
- Ensure the tightness of the belt and tensioner before starting your engine.
Contact us today if you address difficulties replacing your car engine belt. We look forward to helping you.
A-Z Tech Automotive, a complete automotive repair services company that offers convenient and high quality personalized automotive repair and service in Orange County. Long and the team are committed to safety first and are known for their outstanding workmanship, friendly and experienced staff, on-time delivery and excellent customer service, including a comprehensive solution for collision repair.